Jon Tiernan-Locke wins Tour of Britain
Author: Extra UK | Mon, 17 Sep 2012
Photo courtesy Tour of Britain | www.tourofbritain.com
Fi'zi:k sponsored Endura Racing's Jon Tiernan-Locke sealed victory in the 2012 Tour of Britain, becoming the first Britishwinner in the modern history of the race. The win is Endura Racing's 43rd of the 2012 season which Tiernan-Locke kicked off back in February with a stylish win in the Tour Méditerranéen.
The Tour of Britain's final stage from Reigate to Guildford was a lively one. Bobridge (Orica GreenEDGE), Kreder (Vacansoleil), Richardson (IG Sigma Sport) and Williams (Node4-Giordana) broke clear early on and they stayed away until the final classified climb at Barhatch Lane. At the foot of the climb, with just under 50km to go, Team NetApp applied significant pressure and briefly fractured the peloton. Tiernan-Locke remained calm and controlled, waiting for his team-mates and the re-grouping that came over the following kilometres.
Bobridge made a long break for theline, but Endura Racing and Sky ProCycling worked to bring that move and another couple of late attacks back for the bunch sprint. Mark Cavendish (Sky ProCycling) marked his last race in the World Champion's jersey with a stage win and Russ Downing finished a close fourth in front of a huge crowd in Guildford. Jon came home safely towards the front of the bunch to secure IG Markets gold jersey.
1st Jon Tiernan-Locke
13th Paul Voß
33rd Russ Downing
52nd Jonny McEvoy
62nd Ian Bibby
DNF Zak Dempster
"We had a relatively comfortable day of it up until the last KoM when NetApp pulled a full on lead-out into the climb and tried to split the bunch to pieces. I knew that Sky would want to bring things back for Cav, so there was no point in really going for it then as they'd be riding so quickly that nothing could stay away. Paul [Voß] looked like he wanted to go for it, but we decided just to wait for it to re-group.
"It's been a great week and thanks to the whole team for making it happen. It's not really sunk yet to be honest - guessing that will come over the next few days."
Alex Sans Vega (Sports Director):
"We had a comfortable stage today, the team were riding strongly and Sky were keen to work on the front to line up a bunch sprint for Cavendish. The only difficulty came on the climb of Barhatch Lane with around 50km to go as there was a sudden flurry of attacks and we had tired legs after all of the work on the last fewdays. Over the top we got organised and with Sky we started to close down the gaps. Into the final kilometres and we had our fingers crossed that there wasn't any crashes or punctures.
"This is a big win for Jon and the team. We worked hard every day and built up stage by stage, making sure there were no time losses on the early stages. The margin of just 18 seconds shows how hard the race was and all thanks go to the team for the work they put in to make the victory possible."
For more info on Fi'zi:k click here
- NEWSIntroducing Clif Bar's New Ambassadors:
- NEWSIntroducing Volta
- NEWSNew Zealand Cycle Classic
- NEWSCrank Brothers to join Extra UK
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stock Take
- NEWSIntroducing the Cyrano Series
- NEWSSchwalbe Euro 4X Series - Round 3 - Leibstadt, Switzerland
- NEWSCane Creek Introduces New Climbing Technology For DB Shocks
- NEWSRide For Michael
- NEWSHutchinson Toro Review - Singletrack Issue 82
- NEWSSchwalbe British 4X R3 & Schwalbe Euro 4X R2
- NEWSYeti Racing UK - 4X Pro Tour Round 1
- NEWSTeam Edition 2013
- NEWSAggro Racing - Round 2 & 3 Race Report
- NEWSCane Creek DBair XV
- NEWSClancy Wins The Soens For Rapha Condor JLT
- NEWSInside TIME
- NEWSHandley Draws First Blood
- NEWSPinkBike.com Review the DBair
- NEWSRapha Condor JLT Hit The Ground Running
- NEWSFestive Opening Hours
- NEWSEaston Cycling Licenses Technology From Topolino
- NEWSCane Creek Opens The Lounge
- NEWSJon Tiernan-Locke wins Tour of Britain
- NEWSShock Tuning Made Simple!
- NEWSTIME RX Instinct - RCUK First Look
- NEWS2012 Union Jack Limited Edition Swallow
- NEWSfi'zi:k dominate the Tour de France
- NEWSDon't Know Your Fit?
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 5
- NEWS2012 Word Champion
- NEWSBeyond the Bike - A Beyond Ourselves Project
- NEWSBrooks B17 Select World Traveller Limited Edition 2012
- NEWSEASTON CYCLING INTRODUCES THE NEW HAVOC 35
- NEWSIdentiti BMX Race Team Sign UK Elite BMX rider Tre Whyte
- NEWSINTENSE DEMO DAY - Moose Cycles
- RECALLTopeak Babyseat II Safety Recall
- NEWSMeet HARD EDDIE
- NEWSExtra appointed exclusive distributor for Time
- NEWSFi'zi:k Sponsored Jon Tiernan-Locke and Endura Racing top UCI Europe Tour Rankings
- NEWSTioga Sponsor Identiti BMX Race Team
- NEWSWorld Cup Dream Results for the Hutchinson United Ride!
- NEWSHutchinson Intensive on Road.cc
- NEWSGrowth in a tough market: Cane Creek
- NEWSTwo wins and seven podiums in three countries for Endura Racing
- NEWSTeam Sky makes the switch to fi'zi:k
- NEWSFreshFoodBike.com delivers groceries with Burley Travoy
- NEWSTiernan-Locke wins Tour du Haut Var with another standout climbing performance
- NEWSHutchinson United Ride Team
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 1
- NEWSAre you Steep or Slack?
- NEWSFizik Shoes Hit Hollywood
- NEWSFizik Kurve
- NEWSNew Intense Carbine
- NEWSIntense Tracer II reviewed by Singletrack
- NEWSJohn Boultbee Criterion Jacket
- NEWSA peek into Polar Bottle HQ
- NEWSAward for Curana