The Strive Diaries: Entry 2 - Enduro's Coming Home To Scotland
Author: Extra UK | Wed, 4 Jun 2014
The Canyon Factory Enduro Team, sponsored by Clif Bar, Ergon & Topeak as been in touch to let us know how they got on at last weekend's Tweedlove in Scotland. Here's what they had to say.
"KOBLENZ, 25.03.2013 - Even though we're now into the second season, there are times when the Enduro World Series (EWS) feels like a completely new experience. This was our first big race without Fabien Barel. Still wrapped up in a back brace in Nice, Fab had his fingers crossed for us over the weekend and is raring to get back on the bike.
A brand new destination for the EWS also added to the excitement, especially racing in the homeland of Top Chief Joe Barnes. Anyone who has ever competed in front of a home crowd has experienced that extra hit of adrenaline you get. Joe was no exception. Having grown up on Scottish trails, Joe knew exactly what lay in store and was unsurprisingly one of the bookies' favourites for the podium before the race.
Armed with thick jackets, heaters and every waterproof clothing product going, we were slightly disappointed when the weather didn't play ball. Despite Thursday practice being a total wash out, the sun shone down for the rest of the weekend to the surprise of pretty much everyone. Thursday's mud bath gave way to mostly dry trails for the start of the race, so all that was left to contend with were tons of roots, tight tree-lined trails and mad steep sections. Add to that over 100 km of racing and 3000 metres of altitude gain over two days, EWS Round 2 was anything but a walk in the park.
Homeboy Joe just missed out on the top step after the first day, lying in second place overnight with the top riders mixed up all over the place in the rankings. It was impossible to pick out any of the big favourites. Ludo May was also one of the riders to have a patchy first day and found himself down in the middle of the pack.
Ines Thoma, after suffering through Day 1: "It's brutal, especially the pedal sections. You're totally spent and then after that you've got massive drops with trees everywhere to duck through while avoiding all the roots - it completely finished me off!"
With just a few hours to recover overnight, the second day kicked off with an 8.30 start and headed straight for the famous Glentress Trail Centre. Ines was able to defend her 5th place on the flatter, pedal-intensive stages. Unfortunately, Ludo was never really able to find his rhythm in the deep dark woods and ended up back in 34th.
Wearing number 10 but with a less than ideal start position because of seeding after Round 1 in Chile, the stage was set for the final day showdown between Joe and Nico Lau. The sounds of battle echoed around the Scottish hills as Joe turned himself inside out for every second available. Spurred on by a home crowd and the local racers, the timings at the end showed third place for the Top Chief, and with it a historic first ever podium for a British male in the Enduro World Series!
Joe on going in to Day 2: "Starting the second day my body felt quite tired after the first day, but I came down and I hit just one left-hand corner - just got it perfect. It's moments like that when you think - 'Oh yeah, there you go! That's what you gotta do!' I was really pleased just for that one moment, but then I set the pace for the whole day. So, I was really happy about that."
The EWS organisers got it spot on again when choosing a new location, just like in Chile. Scotland is a stunning country and makes a fantastic addition to the racing calendar. Friendly locals, a mad riding scene, cool trails and even nice weather made it an awesome experience for everyone.
Joe after the race: "It was so good to have all the Scots out cheering and it really felt like a home race. I'm really happy with 3rd place."
Looking back at a race that definitely raised the bar in terms of difficulty, there are still a few tweaks to be made here and there to get right to the top of the leader board... Bring on Round 3! Stay tuned for a special edition of the Strive Diaries coming your way in mid-June!"
All images are Copyright of Canyon Bicycles / Jeremie Reuiller
- NEWSThe New Brooks Cambium C13 All Weather is here.
- NEWSExtra at COREbike 2019: New Brands and New Products
- NEWSChristmas Closing
- ANNOUNCEMENTSRP's for CLIF Bloks, Builders and Gels lowered in the UK
- NEWSAnnual Stocktake
- NEWSabsoluteBLACK Oval vs Round
- NEWSPirelli Is Official Partner Of Il Lombaria and Strade Bianche
- NEWSNEW Cane Creek eeSilk post now in stock
- NEWSMaxxis Introduces, the Assegai
- NEWSNEW Nut Butter Filled Clif Bars Now Available
- NEWSSquirt Cycling Products now exclusively available
- NEWSPirelli and Mitchelton-Scott announce partnership
- NEWSPirelli announce new tubeless Cinturato Velo
- ANNOUNCEMENTAbsoluteBLACK appoint EXTRA UK as exclusive distributor in UK and Ireland
- NEWSCane Creek Release eeWings Premium Titanium Crankset
- NEWSCane Creek Releases 29 and 27.5+ Version of Critically Acclaimed HELM Fork
- NEWSNEW Limited Edition Cambium All Weather Saddles
- NEWSWhy Nuun?
- ANNOUNCEMENTOffice Closure
- RECALLRECALL - SwissStop ExoTherm Disc Pads
- NEWSAnnual stocktake
- NEWSCrankbrothers launch new Stamp pedals
- NEWSTens of thousands finish Prudential Ride London with the help of nuun hydration and Clif Bar
- RECALLVoluntary Recall of CLIF® BUILDER’S Bar Chocolate Mint Flavour
- NEWSOrange Seal Named Official Sealant of Team Bora-Hansgrohe
- ANNOUNCEMENTSwissStop EXOTherm Stop-Ride Stop-Sale Advisory
- NEWSExtra UK appointed exclusive distributor of the new Pirelli PZero Velo tyres
- NEWSnuun and company® Announces Multi-Year Partnership with Prudential RideLondon
- NEWSFactory Jackson Reviews New Crankbrothers Klic HV Pump and F15 Tool
- NEWSCane Creek Introduces Helm Fork
- NEWSMaxxis Enables Extra UK To Realign Prices
- NEWS7 World Tour Teams Ride Fizik In 2017
- NEWSNew Shock and Remote Levers From Cane Creek
- NEWSChristmas Closing
- NEWSCane Creek Partners With eeCycles
- ANNOUNCEMENTWe'll be closed for Stocktake
- NEWSCane Creek Expands Shock Line
- NEWSNuun partners with Extra for exclusive UK distribution
- NEWSIt's Time To Get Dialed!
- NEWSBrooks 150th Anniversary
- NEWSMore Awards For Clif Bar
- NEWSTopeak Wins Red Dot Awards
- ANNOUNCEMENTClif Bar Become Official Sponsor of Prudential RideLondon
- NEWSInside Ergon
- NEWSOrange Seal In Cycling Weekly
- NEWSDesign & Innovation Award Winners
- NEWSChristmas Opening Times
- NEWSNEW Clif Bar Flavour Now Available!
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stocktake
- NEWSProGold The Reader Choice
- NEWSDBinline recommended by Singletrack Magazine
- NEWSDownhill performance meets… climbing efficiency
- NEWSErgon BE1 Scores 9 out of 10!
- NEWSFi'zi:k Black Edition
- NEWSNEW 2016 Fi'zi:k Shoes In Stock Now
- NEWSPinkbike Visits Crankbrothers
- NEWSClif Bar Wins Prestigious Award!
- NEWSThe Tracer Goes Green
- ANNOUNCEMENTExtra UK Welcomes Maxxis Tyres
- NEWSFind Us On Social Media
- NEWSCobalt 3 Wheels Score 9 out of 10!
- ANNOUNCEMENT2015 Events
- NEWSIntense Cycles - Tracing Dirt
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stock Take
- NEWSTopeak Mountain Morph - Awarded Singletrack Recommended
- NEWSTitley wins UKGE Series for BAB Intense
- NEWSLeadville – Bigham strikes again
- NEWSThe Strive Diaries: Entry 5 - EWS Reborn In The USA
- NEWSARTCRANK London
- NEWSNovatec Diablo 29 - 4 out of 5 MBUK
- NEWS4X Pro Tour - Val Di Sole - Yeti Racing UK
- NEWSBrooks England X Levi’s® Commuter Collaboration
- NEWSFizik To Illuminate Tour Finish Line
- NEWSTIME ATAC XC6 9 out of 10
- NEWSTopeak Joe Blow Mountain Scores 10!
- NEWSBAB Intense Race Report - UKGE Afan
- NEWS4X Pro Tour - Fort William - Yeti Racing UK
- NEWSThe Strive Diaries: Entry 2 - Enduro's Coming Home To Scotland
- NEWSIntroducing The DBinline
- NEWSIntroducing Clif Bar's New Ambassadors:
- NEWSIntroducing Volta
- NEWSNew Zealand Cycle Classic
- NEWSCrank Brothers to join Extra UK
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stock Take
- NEWS Extra UK secures CLIF Bar distribution
- NEWSIntroducing the Cyrano Series
- NEWSSchwalbe Euro 4X Series - Round 3 - Leibstadt, Switzerland
- NEWSCane Creek Introduces New Climbing Technology For DB Shocks
- NEWSRide For Michael
- NEWSHutchinson Toro Review - Singletrack Issue 82
- NEWSSchwalbe British 4X R3 & Schwalbe Euro 4X R2
- NEWSYeti Racing UK - 4X Pro Tour Round 1
- NEWSTeam Edition 2013
- NEWSAggro Racing - Round 2 & 3 Race Report
- NEWSSchwalbe British 4X Series Round 2 - Falmouth, Cornwall.
- NEWSCane Creek DBair XV
- NEWSClancy Wins The Soens For Rapha Condor JLT
- NEWSInside TIME
- NEWSHandley Draws First Blood
- NEWSPinkBike.com Review the DBair
- NEWSRapha Condor JLT Hit The Ground Running
- NEWSFestive Opening Hours
- NEWSEaston Cycling Licenses Technology From Topolino
- NEWSCane Creek Opens The Lounge
- NEWSJon Tiernan-Locke wins Tour of Britain
- NEWSShock Tuning Made Simple!
- NEWSTIME RX Instinct - RCUK First Look
- NEWS2012 Union Jack Limited Edition Swallow
- NEWSfi'zi:k dominate the Tour de France
- NEWSDon't Know Your Fit?
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 5
- NEWS2012 Word Champion
- NEWSBeyond the Bike - A Beyond Ourselves Project
- NEWSBrooks B17 Select World Traveller Limited Edition 2012
- NEWSEASTON CYCLING INTRODUCES THE NEW HAVOC 35
- NEWSIdentiti BMX Race Team Sign UK Elite BMX rider Tre Whyte
- NEWSINTENSE DEMO DAY - Moose Cycles
- RECALLTopeak Babyseat II Safety Recall
- NEWSMeet HARD EDDIE
- NEWSExtra appointed exclusive distributor for Time
- NEWSFi'zi:k Sponsored Jon Tiernan-Locke and Endura Racing top UCI Europe Tour Rankings
- NEWSTioga Sponsor Identiti BMX Race Team
- NEWSWorld Cup Dream Results for the Hutchinson United Ride!
- NEWSHutchinson Intensive on Road.cc
- NEWSGrowth in a tough market: Cane Creek
- NEWSTwo wins and seven podiums in three countries for Endura Racing
- NEWSTeam Sky makes the switch to fi'zi:k
- NEWSFreshFoodBike.com delivers groceries with Burley Travoy
- NEWSTiernan-Locke wins Tour du Haut Var with another standout climbing performance
- NEWSHutchinson United Ride Team
- NEWSTiernan-Locke wins final stage of Tour Mediterraneen to secure overall victory
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 1
- NEWSAre you Steep or Slack?
- NEWSCane Creek DBair - First ride review
- NEWSFizik Shoes Hit Hollywood
- NEWSFizik Kurve
- NEWSNew Intense Carbine
- NEWSIntense Tracer II reviewed by Singletrack
- NEWSJohn Boultbee Criterion Jacket
- NEWSA peek into Polar Bottle HQ
- NEWSAward for Curana