The Strive Diaries: Entry 5 - EWS Reborn In The USA
Author: Extra UK | Wed, 30 Jul 2014
The Canyon Factory Enduro Team, sponsored by Clif Bar, Ergon & Topeak as been in touch with an update from the Enduro World Series.
KOBLENZ, 29.07.2014 - With a block of European racing behind us, the Enduro World Series (EWS) headed stateside to kick off the final three rounds of the season. Winter Park in Colorado lies right at the heart of the Rocky Mountains and was familiar territory for the EWS having also been visited back in 2013.
After a rough time here last year, we'd learnt from our mistakes by flying over a week earlier to help combat the eight hour time difference, but most importantly to acclimatise to the altitude. Although the mountains around Winter Park don't look much like the soaring peaks of the Alps, the fact that the base lift for Trestle Bike Park sits way up at 2800 m above sea level meant that we were actually far higher than at any point in Europe, and that was before we'd even got to the top. Coping with the thin air was therefore one of the major challenges everyone faced; even just sleeping at this height, your heart beats twice as fast than at sea level. This meant that the locals would definitely have a home advantage.
In contrast to previous rounds, this time we had three and a half days of racing with seven special stages ahead of us. Timed runs were held in the morning to avoid thunderstorms later on and the next day's stages were only unveiled the afternoon before with practice allowed following the announcement. This made each day long and intense for riders and staff, but especially for our mechanics, Dougie and Marc.
Day one was spent lapping the bike park. Typically in the EWS, the riders aren't so used to constantly hitting groomed doubles, berms and wallrides, and that was reflected in the results. While the big names were scattered throughout the field, the local riders, who could have ridden the course blind were filling out the top spots. Joe Barnes still had reason to be happy after the first test:
"I was 30th in that first stage last year and coming in 17th this time is a step in the right direction. Stage was good, but my stomach was playing up a bit in the middle. Strange feelings... Coming to a big jump I hit it longer than I did in the training run. I landed hanging off the bike like a motocross racer, but it was perfect. I was really stoked riding down afterwards. It's really tough out there."
Day two promised more variety with a load of previously unknown and unridden hiking trails away from the resort. However, Ludo May wasn't loving the lack of flow offered by the terrain:
"Stages 4 and 5 were really short, like even less than two minutes so that's also what we're not really used to racing. Those hiking trails are dusty and really tight at the top - not really made for riding. Through the trees it was really difficult not to catch your bars. It's really flat - that's not what I prefer and it's definitely not sexy, but I guess that's just the American interpretation of Enduro. They haven't changed it that much so I guess we should have known what to expect before we came here."
Coming in to the third day there was controversy after one of the local women came down hard on Stage 6, meaning the course had to be shut down. There's never a good time for a big crash, but the accident happened after ten men had already completed the stage. Chris Ball, the EWS managing director, had a tough decision to make and rightly decided that a re-run of the stage was the fairest way to continue the race, triggering protests from those who had already put times on the board.
Fortunately, the rider is in a stable condition having been airlifted to hospital in Denver. The fact that some riders had to tackle the most physically-challenging stage of the race twice may have affected the overall result, but we'll never know. Stage 7 was back to the bike park bombing of the first day, with everyone able to get back on the gas again. When the results came in it showed a mixed weekend for the team. Joe kept up his good run of form to finish 7th and Ines Thoma had a solid race coming in 10th, while Ludo never got in the right groove, dropping down to 52nd.
Joe was satisfied with how the weekend turned out and another top-10 result:
"This was actually quite a good race for me. Much better than last year and it went even better than I'd expected. It's good to see that I can constantly cope with all the big boys out there and I came dead close to winning a stage again this weekend. I felt really good the whole weekend, therefore I'm really disappointed with the last stage on Sunday. My run was okay but then I saw my time and couldn't believe it at first that I was so slow. I thought there must be a mistake, but the timing back-up was okay. I could have easily gained two places if I'd pushed it harder. But anyway it's another solid top-ten. Let's go to Whistler - Yeah Baeys!"
We've got one day to give bikes and bodies a rest before catching the flight to Vancouver and then next stop Whistler, where riding Mecca awaits us. Catch the next entry of the Strive Diaries in two weeks!
All images are Copyright of Canyon Bicycles / Jeremie Reuiller
- ANNOUNCEMENTAbsoluteBLACK appoint EXTRA UK as exclusive distributor in UK and Ireland
- NEWSCane Creek Release eeWings Premium Titanium Crankset
- NEWSCane Creek Releases 29 and 27.5+ Version of Critically Acclaimed HELM Fork
- NEWSNEW Limited Edition Cambium All Weather Saddles
- NEWSWhy Nuun?
- ANNOUNCEMENTOffice Closure
- RECALLRECALL - SwissStop ExoTherm Disc Pads
- NEWSAnnual stocktake
- NEWSCrankbrothers launch new Stamp pedals
- NEWSTens of thousands finish Prudential Ride London with the help of nuun hydration and Clif Bar
- RECALLVoluntary Recall of CLIF® BUILDER’S Bar Chocolate Mint Flavour
- NEWSOrange Seal Named Official Sealant of Team Bora-Hansgrohe
- ANNOUNCEMENTSwissStop EXOTherm Stop-Ride Stop-Sale Advisory
- NEWSExtra UK appointed exclusive distributor of the new Pirelli PZero Velo tyres
- NEWSnuun and company® Announces Multi-Year Partnership with Prudential RideLondon
- NEWSFactory Jackson Reviews New Crankbrothers Klic HV Pump and F15 Tool
- NEWSCane Creek Introduces Helm Fork
- NEWSMaxxis Enables Extra UK To Realign Prices
- NEWS7 World Tour Teams Ride Fizik In 2017
- NEWSNew Shock and Remote Levers From Cane Creek
- NEWSChristmas Closing
- NEWSCane Creek Partners With eeCycles
- ANNOUNCEMENTWe'll be closed for Stocktake
- NEWSCane Creek Expands Shock Line
- NEWSNuun partners with Extra for exclusive UK distribution
- NEWSIt's Time To Get Dialed!
- NEWSBrooks 150th Anniversary
- NEWSMore Awards For Clif Bar
- NEWSTopeak Wins Red Dot Awards
- ANNOUNCEMENTClif Bar Become Official Sponsor of Prudential RideLondon
- NEWSInside Ergon
- NEWSOrange Seal In Cycling Weekly
- NEWSDesign & Innovation Award Winners
- NEWSChristmas Opening Times
- NEWSNEW Clif Bar Flavour Now Available!
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stocktake
- NEWSProGold The Reader Choice
- NEWSDBinline recommended by Singletrack Magazine
- NEWSDownhill performance meets… climbing efficiency
- NEWSErgon BE1 Scores 9 out of 10!
- NEWSFi'zi:k Black Edition
- NEWSNEW 2016 Fi'zi:k Shoes In Stock Now
- NEWSPinkbike Visits Crankbrothers
- NEWSClif Bar Wins Prestigious Award!
- NEWSThe Tracer Goes Green
- ANNOUNCEMENTExtra UK Welcomes Maxxis Tyres
- NEWSFind Us On Social Media
- NEWSCobalt 3 Wheels Score 9 out of 10!
- ANNOUNCEMENT2015 Events
- NEWSIntense Cycles - Tracing Dirt
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stock Take
- NEWSTopeak Mountain Morph - Awarded Singletrack Recommended
- NEWSTitley wins UKGE Series for BAB Intense
- NEWSLeadville – Bigham strikes again
- NEWSThe Strive Diaries: Entry 5 - EWS Reborn In The USA
- NEWSARTCRANK London
- NEWSNovatec Diablo 29 - 4 out of 5 MBUK
- NEWS4X Pro Tour - Val Di Sole - Yeti Racing UK
- NEWSBrooks England X Levi’s® Commuter Collaboration
- NEWSFizik To Illuminate Tour Finish Line
- NEWSTIME ATAC XC6 9 out of 10
- NEWSTopeak Joe Blow Mountain Scores 10!
- NEWSBAB Intense Race Report - UKGE Afan
- NEWS4X Pro Tour - Fort William - Yeti Racing UK
- NEWSThe Strive Diaries: Entry 2 - Enduro's Coming Home To Scotland
- NEWSIntroducing The DBinline
- NEWSIntroducing Clif Bar's New Ambassadors:
- NEWSIntroducing Volta
- NEWSNew Zealand Cycle Classic
- NEWSCrank Brothers to join Extra UK
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stock Take
- NEWS Extra UK secures CLIF Bar distribution
- NEWSIntroducing the Cyrano Series
- NEWSSchwalbe Euro 4X Series - Round 3 - Leibstadt, Switzerland
- NEWSCane Creek Introduces New Climbing Technology For DB Shocks
- NEWSRide For Michael
- NEWSHutchinson Toro Review - Singletrack Issue 82
- NEWSSchwalbe British 4X R3 & Schwalbe Euro 4X R2
- NEWSYeti Racing UK - 4X Pro Tour Round 1
- NEWSTeam Edition 2013
- NEWSAggro Racing - Round 2 & 3 Race Report
- NEWSSchwalbe British 4X Series Round 2 - Falmouth, Cornwall.
- NEWSCane Creek DBair XV
- NEWSClancy Wins The Soens For Rapha Condor JLT
- NEWSInside TIME
- NEWSHandley Draws First Blood
- NEWSPinkBike.com Review the DBair
- NEWSRapha Condor JLT Hit The Ground Running
- NEWSFestive Opening Hours
- NEWSEaston Cycling Licenses Technology From Topolino
- NEWSCane Creek Opens The Lounge
- NEWSJon Tiernan-Locke wins Tour of Britain
- NEWSShock Tuning Made Simple!
- NEWSTIME RX Instinct - RCUK First Look
- NEWS2012 Union Jack Limited Edition Swallow
- NEWSfi'zi:k dominate the Tour de France
- NEWSDon't Know Your Fit?
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 5
- NEWS2012 Word Champion
- NEWSBeyond the Bike - A Beyond Ourselves Project
- NEWSBrooks B17 Select World Traveller Limited Edition 2012
- NEWSEASTON CYCLING INTRODUCES THE NEW HAVOC 35
- NEWSIdentiti BMX Race Team Sign UK Elite BMX rider Tre Whyte
- NEWSINTENSE DEMO DAY - Moose Cycles
- RECALLTopeak Babyseat II Safety Recall
- NEWSMeet HARD EDDIE
- NEWSExtra appointed exclusive distributor for Time
- NEWSFi'zi:k Sponsored Jon Tiernan-Locke and Endura Racing top UCI Europe Tour Rankings
- NEWSTioga Sponsor Identiti BMX Race Team
- NEWSWorld Cup Dream Results for the Hutchinson United Ride!
- NEWSHutchinson Intensive on Road.cc
- NEWSGrowth in a tough market: Cane Creek
- NEWSTwo wins and seven podiums in three countries for Endura Racing
- NEWSTeam Sky makes the switch to fi'zi:k
- NEWSFreshFoodBike.com delivers groceries with Burley Travoy
- NEWSTiernan-Locke wins Tour du Haut Var with another standout climbing performance
- NEWSHutchinson United Ride Team
- NEWSTiernan-Locke wins final stage of Tour Mediterraneen to secure overall victory
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 1
- NEWSAre you Steep or Slack?
- NEWSCane Creek DBair - First ride review
- NEWSFizik Shoes Hit Hollywood
- NEWSFizik Kurve
- NEWSNew Intense Carbine
- NEWSIntense Tracer II reviewed by Singletrack
- NEWSJohn Boultbee Criterion Jacket
- NEWSA peek into Polar Bottle HQ
- NEWSAward for Curana