Titley wins UKGE Series for BAB Intense
Author: Extra UK | Fri, 12 Sep 2014
The UK Gravity Enduro Series came to a close at the weekend at Grizedale Forest in the lake district, and what a series it has been! Over the last 6 months the Bad Ass Bikes Intense riders have battled through all weather conditions on some of the most challenging mountain bike trails in the UK. The final at Grizedale was a fitting test to finish the series with around 1000m of climbing over a 38 km route, featuring 5 stages to test fitness and bike handling skills to the max. Stages 2 and 4 were especially spectacular, freshly cut down the west side of the hill, they both finished on the shores of Lake Coniston.
The big news of the weekend for B.A.B. Intense was Andrew Titley winning the Masters UKGE title, widely considered to be the most competitive class in UK Enduro racing. This completes an amazing season for Titley, which has also seen him win the National DH Title. However, this wasn't a straight forward season by any means after sustaining a broken shoulder blade in a crash at UKGE Round 2 in Innerleithen. Somehow, fuelled by adrenaline, Titley managed to hold on to 3rd place in that event. As a result of the injury, Round 3 at Afan was a pretty dark place for Titley, but probably the most important race of the season, salvaging some crucial championship points. Back to winning ways at Rd 4 in the Dyfi Forest and then 2nd place at Grizdale secured the title - keeping his cool (most of the time) despite the pressure and a puncture on stage 4.
Joe Finney, also in the Masters class, had a storming ride to 3rd place overall in the series after improving his results progressively towards the end of the season and finishing 2nd at Round 3 in Afan. Rich Wood finished 11th overall in Masters, narrowly missing out on a top 10 due to a split tyre on a transition at Round 4, this resulted in a time penalty for missing his start time. Both Joe and Rich had some storming rides in the One Industries Mini Enduros, where they both scored podiums this year.
In the Vets class Andy Saddler finished 6th overall following mixed fortunes in UKGE - the two extremes, a win at Afan followed by a DNF at Dyfi due to a mechanical. Despite this Andy has an incredible record in 2014 - 10 podium finishes out of 14 races entered! The training will continue through the winter on a watt bike in his garage - no doubt he'll break out like a caged animal next season. In Grand Vets Matt Hending managed to finish in the top 10 overall in the series following 4 consistent races, but didn't finish the Grizdale round due to a mechanical on Stage 3. Better luck next year Matt.
Last but not least Rob Box Cooksley, owner of Bad Ass Bikes, was out getting loose with the youngsters in the Pro Elite class in what turned out to be his final professional appearance. Box bowed out in style making the Elite podium in his final race.
All in all, it has been an amazing season for Bad Ass Bikes Intense with 24 podium finishes, 8 wins, a Masters British Downhill Series overall win and a DH National Championship Gold Medal (Andrew Titley - Intense 951 EVO) - spread over 6 riders.
"it's been a successful year for all involved with Bad Ass Bikes Intense - grass roots racing at its best. We're fortunate enough to have some amazing sponsors and to be riding the best dedicated race bikes available. A huge thanks to our sponsors and all who have supported us along the way - Intense Cycles, Clif Bar, Ergon, Novatech, Crank Bros, Topeak, Extra UK and Bad Ass Bikes." B.A.B. Intense spokesperson.
Andrew Titley on the Intense Carbine 29er "it's just the sort of bike that gets me excited about riding everyday. I was unsure about riding a 29er at first, but as soon as I got on the carbine I knew it was going to work... in-fact, I knew it would help me win! It's a confidence inspiring race machine."
Bring on 2015!!"
- ANNOUNCEMENTSwissStop EXOTherm Stop-Ride Stop-Sale Advisory
- NEWSExtra UK appointed exclusive distributor of the new Pirelli PZero Velo tyres
- NEWSnuun and company® Announces Multi-Year Partnership with Prudential RideLondon
- NEWSFactory Jackson Reviews New Crankbrothers Klic HV Pump and F15 Tool
- NEWSCane Creek Introduces Helm Fork
- NEWSMaxxis Enables Extra UK To Realign Prices
- NEWS7 World Tour Teams Ride Fizik In 2017
- NEWSNew Shock and Remote Levers From Cane Creek
- NEWSChristmas Closing
- NEWSCane Creek Partners With eeCycles
- ANNOUNCEMENTWe'll be closed for Stocktake
- NEWSCane Creek Expands Shock Line
- NEWSNuun partners with Extra for exclusive UK distribution
- NEWSIt's Time To Get Dialed!
- NEWSBrooks 150th Anniversary
- NEWSMore Awards For Clif Bar
- NEWSTopeak Wins Red Dot Awards
- ANNOUNCEMENTClif Bar Become Official Sponsor of Prudential RideLondon
- NEWSInside Ergon
- NEWSOrange Seal In Cycling Weekly
- NEWSDesign & Innovation Award Winners
- NEWSChristmas Opening Times
- NEWSNEW Clif Bar Flavour Now Available!
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stocktake
- NEWSProGold The Reader Choice
- NEWSDBinline recommended by Singletrack Magazine
- NEWSDownhill performance meets… climbing efficiency
- NEWSErgon BE1 Scores 9 out of 10!
- NEWSFi'zi:k Black Edition
- NEWSNEW 2016 Fi'zi:k Shoes In Stock Now
- NEWSPinkbike Visits Crankbrothers
- NEWSClif Bar Wins Prestigious Award!
- NEWSThe Tracer Goes Green
- ANNOUNCEMENTExtra UK Welcomes Maxxis Tyres
- NEWSFind Us On Social Media
- NEWSCobalt 3 Wheels Score 9 out of 10!
- ANNOUNCEMENT2015 Events
- NEWSIntense Cycles - Tracing Dirt
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stock Take
- NEWSTopeak Mountain Morph - Awarded Singletrack Recommended
- NEWSTitley wins UKGE Series for BAB Intense
- NEWSLeadville – Bigham strikes again
- NEWSThe Strive Diaries: Entry 5 - EWS Reborn In The USA
- NEWSARTCRANK London
- NEWSNovatec Diablo 29 - 4 out of 5 MBUK
- NEWS4X Pro Tour - Val Di Sole - Yeti Racing UK
- NEWSBrooks England X Levi’s® Commuter Collaboration
- NEWSFizik To Illuminate Tour Finish Line
- NEWSTIME ATAC XC6 9 out of 10
- NEWSTopeak Joe Blow Mountain Scores 10!
- NEWSBAB Intense Race Report - UKGE Afan
- NEWS4X Pro Tour - Fort William - Yeti Racing UK
- NEWSThe Strive Diaries: Entry 2 - Enduro's Coming Home To Scotland
- NEWSIntroducing The DBinline
- NEWSIntroducing Clif Bar's New Ambassadors:
- NEWSIntroducing Volta
- NEWSNew Zealand Cycle Classic
- NEWSCrank Brothers to join Extra UK
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stock Take
- NEWS Extra UK secures CLIF Bar distribution
- NEWSIntroducing the Cyrano Series
- NEWSSchwalbe Euro 4X Series - Round 3 - Leibstadt, Switzerland
- NEWSCane Creek Introduces New Climbing Technology For DB Shocks
- NEWSRide For Michael
- NEWSHutchinson Toro Review - Singletrack Issue 82
- NEWSSchwalbe British 4X R3 & Schwalbe Euro 4X R2
- NEWSYeti Racing UK - 4X Pro Tour Round 1
- NEWSTeam Edition 2013
- NEWSAggro Racing - Round 2 & 3 Race Report
- NEWSSchwalbe British 4X Series Round 2 - Falmouth, Cornwall.
- NEWSCane Creek DBair XV
- NEWSClancy Wins The Soens For Rapha Condor JLT
- NEWSInside TIME
- NEWSHandley Draws First Blood
- NEWSPinkBike.com Review the DBair
- NEWSRapha Condor JLT Hit The Ground Running
- NEWSFestive Opening Hours
- NEWSEaston Cycling Licenses Technology From Topolino
- NEWSCane Creek Opens The Lounge
- NEWSJon Tiernan-Locke wins Tour of Britain
- NEWSShock Tuning Made Simple!
- NEWSTIME RX Instinct - RCUK First Look
- NEWS2012 Union Jack Limited Edition Swallow
- NEWSfi'zi:k dominate the Tour de France
- NEWSDon't Know Your Fit?
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 5
- NEWS2012 Word Champion
- NEWSBeyond the Bike - A Beyond Ourselves Project
- NEWSBrooks B17 Select World Traveller Limited Edition 2012
- NEWSEASTON CYCLING INTRODUCES THE NEW HAVOC 35
- NEWSIdentiti BMX Race Team Sign UK Elite BMX rider Tre Whyte
- NEWSINTENSE DEMO DAY - Moose Cycles
- RECALLTopeak Babyseat II Safety Recall
- NEWSMeet HARD EDDIE
- NEWSExtra appointed exclusive distributor for Time
- NEWSFi'zi:k Sponsored Jon Tiernan-Locke and Endura Racing top UCI Europe Tour Rankings
- NEWSTioga Sponsor Identiti BMX Race Team
- NEWSWorld Cup Dream Results for the Hutchinson United Ride!
- NEWSHutchinson Intensive on Road.cc
- NEWSGrowth in a tough market: Cane Creek
- NEWSTwo wins and seven podiums in three countries for Endura Racing
- NEWSTeam Sky makes the switch to fi'zi:k
- NEWSFreshFoodBike.com delivers groceries with Burley Travoy
- NEWSTiernan-Locke wins Tour du Haut Var with another standout climbing performance
- NEWSHutchinson United Ride Team
- NEWSTiernan-Locke wins final stage of Tour Mediterraneen to secure overall victory
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 1
- NEWSAre you Steep or Slack?
- NEWSCane Creek DBair - First ride review
- NEWSFizik Shoes Hit Hollywood
- NEWSFizik Kurve
- NEWSNew Intense Carbine
- NEWSIntense Tracer II reviewed by Singletrack
- NEWSJohn Boultbee Criterion Jacket
- NEWSA peek into Polar Bottle HQ
- NEWSAward for Curana