Pirelli Launches Scorpion Mountain Bike Tyres In The UK
Author: Extra UK | Mon, 3 May 2021
Pirelli returned to cycling in 2017 and released their first MTB tyres in February 2019. Now in 2021, the latest range of category-focused mountain bike tyres have come to the UK.
Pirelli have over 100 years of research and development in tyre technology, with tyres developed to perform in the highest levels of competition including F1, MX, WRC and WSBK. The updated Scorpion range completes the full lineup of bicycle tyres spanning road, gravel, MTB and hybrid/commuter tyres.
The updated model range includes XC, Trail, and Enduro tyres joining the already released E-MTB range and are available for purchase immediately. The tyres are available in a range of treat-patterns and sidewall options to be optimally suited for different conditions and riding styles. The models include S (soft conditions), M (mixed conditions), H (hardpack), R (rear-specific) and in the XC tyre range, RC (XCO race tyre).
The Pirelli Scorpion range uses the innovative SmartGRIP compound technology that uses a single compound optimised for every specific tyre to best suit its requirements.
The single compound construction can be extremely beneficial when formulated properly, and Pirelli has used its extensive knowledge of tyre construction to bring these advantages to their mountain bike tyres. By using an advanced single compound, the tyres not only have excellent longevity, but also ensures that the chemical grip remains constant throughout its lifespan of the tyre, even when it starts to become worn.
The perfect blend of grip, longevity and protection can only come from a single compound when constructed with decades of expertise in tyre technology. The SmartGRIP compound has been developed to offer outstanding resistance to tearing, especially when paired to the ProWALL and HardWALL casing.
Pirelli offer 5 casings across the updated Scorpion range. The ProWALL XC casing boasts excellent puncture and cut resistance from a 120TPI carcass whilst keeping the overall weight of the tyre competitively low. This gives the XC tyres leading puncture resistance in its category whilst remaining supple, perfect for the demanding nature of todays XC riding and racing and is the reason why they have become the choice of many elite level riders. Pirelli also offer a LITE casing in the XC range for maximum rolling efficiency and suppleness in an extremely light package.
The ProWALL featured on the Scorpion Trail tyres shares a similar casing to that found on the XC tyres, however, features a sturdier 60TPI carcass that offers increased sidewall support and cut resistance for aggressive Trail riders. The HardWALL casing found on the Scorpion Enduro features bead-to-bread Nylon protection combined with a thick rubber insert over the bead for the most aggressive riding on the most challenging terrain. The Enduro tyres have a focus on providing excellent support and casing strength, even at low pressures ensuring an optimum tyre profile, even when the tyres are pushed hard.
Lastly, the HyperWALL casing has been specifically developed for the higher tyre loads found in E-MTB. Extra support and security have been achieved by adding an additional textile layer around the bead that locks into the rubber bead insert, a technology derived from Pirelli’s MX tyres for unparalleled performance, even at the lowest tyre pressures and highest loads.
SCORPION MTB: THE RANGE IS MORE AND MORE COMPLETE
Scorpion Mountain Bike Tyres – The full range
Scorpion XC, with profiles: RC (Racing), R (Rear), M (Mixed), S (Soft), H (Hard) in 29x2.2” and 2.4”
Scorpion Trail, available with M, S, R and H profiles in 27.5x2.4” and 29x2.4”
Scorpion Enduro, available with M, S, R profiles in 27.5” and 29” in both 2.4” and 2.6” widths
Scorption E-MTB in 27.5x2.6” and 29x2.6”.
- NEWSPirelli Launches Scorpion Mountain Bike Tyres In The UK
- NEWSPirelli Presents The New P Zero Tyres Family
- NEWSExtra UK Announces Exclusive MOTOREX Distribution Partnership
- NEWSAnnual Stocktake 2020
- NEWSABUS Bordo 6000 now Sold Secure Bronze
- NEWSTopeak announce BikePark Wales Sponsorship
- NEWSBusiness Update June 2020
- NEWSWe Are Open
- NEWSExtra UK and COVID-19
- NEWSabsoluteBLACK Cannondale Spidering ROAD oval chainring is here!
- NEWSCrankbrothers Launches Synthesis Alloy Wheel Range
- NEWSIntroducing the All-New Cane Creek Thudbuster Seatpost
- NEWSEnduro Bearings Workshops - COREbike 2020
- NEWSCoreBike 2020
- NEWSChristmas Closing
- NEWSABUS to drive IBD sales and increase security
- NEWSAnnual Stocktake
- NEWSOrange Seal Tyre Sealant - For road, gravel, and MTB
- NEWS100% Lifetime Guarantee on 110 Series Headsets
- NEWSBicycle Theft Prevention
- NEWSUK National Parks and Clif Bar launch the National Parks Protectors Fund
- NEWSRichard Carapaz wins the Giro d'Italia with ABUS
- NEWSFFWD Wheels Distributed By Extra UK
- NEWSExtra UK ABUS Factory Visit and Distribution
- NEWSA new beginning for Pirelli: Scorpion MTB is the newborn range for mountain bikers
- NEWSThe New Brooks Cambium C13 All Weather is here.
- NEWSExtra at COREbike 2019: New Brands and New Products
- NEWSChristmas Closing
- ANNOUNCEMENTSRP's for CLIF Bloks, Builders and Gels lowered in the UK
- NEWSAnnual Stocktake
- NEWSabsoluteBLACK Oval vs Round
- NEWSPirelli Is Official Partner Of Il Lombaria and Strade Bianche
- NEWSNEW Cane Creek eeSilk post now in stock
- NEWSMaxxis Introduces, the Assegai
- NEWSNEW Nut Butter Filled Clif Bars Now Available
- NEWSSquirt Cycling Products now exclusively available
- NEWSPirelli and Mitchelton-Scott announce partnership
- NEWSPirelli announce new tubeless Cinturato Velo
- ANNOUNCEMENTAbsoluteBLACK appoint EXTRA UK as exclusive distributor in UK and Ireland
- NEWSCane Creek Release eeWings Premium Titanium Crankset
- NEWSCane Creek Releases 29 and 27.5+ Version of Critically Acclaimed HELM Fork
- NEWSNEW Limited Edition Cambium All Weather Saddles
- NEWSWhy Nuun?
- ANNOUNCEMENTOffice Closure
- RECALLRECALL - SwissStop ExoTherm Disc Pads
- NEWSAnnual stocktake
- NEWSCrankbrothers launch new Stamp pedals
- NEWSTens of thousands finish Prudential Ride London with the help of nuun hydration and Clif Bar
- RECALLVoluntary Recall of CLIF® BUILDER’S Bar Chocolate Mint Flavour
- NEWSOrange Seal Named Official Sealant of Team Bora-Hansgrohe
- ANNOUNCEMENTSwissStop EXOTherm Stop-Ride Stop-Sale Advisory
- NEWSExtra UK appointed exclusive distributor of the new Pirelli PZero Velo tyres
- NEWSnuun and company® Announces Multi-Year Partnership with Prudential RideLondon
- NEWSFactory Jackson Reviews New Crankbrothers Klic HV Pump and F15 Tool
- NEWSCane Creek Introduces Helm Fork
- NEWSMaxxis Enables Extra UK To Realign Prices
- NEWS7 World Tour Teams Ride Fizik In 2017
- NEWSNew Shock and Remote Levers From Cane Creek
- NEWSChristmas Closing
- NEWSCane Creek Partners With eeCycles
- ANNOUNCEMENTWe'll be closed for Stocktake
- NEWSCane Creek Expands Shock Line
- NEWSNuun partners with Extra for exclusive UK distribution
- NEWSIt's Time To Get Dialed!
- NEWSBrooks 150th Anniversary
- NEWSMore Awards For Clif Bar
- NEWSTopeak Wins Red Dot Awards
- ANNOUNCEMENTClif Bar Become Official Sponsor of Prudential RideLondon
- NEWSInside Ergon
- NEWSOrange Seal In Cycling Weekly
- NEWSDesign & Innovation Award Winners
- NEWSChristmas Opening Times
- NEWSNEW Clif Bar Flavour Now Available!
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stocktake
- NEWSProGold The Reader Choice
- NEWSDBinline recommended by Singletrack Magazine
- NEWSDownhill performance meets… climbing efficiency
- NEWSErgon BE1 Scores 9 out of 10!
- NEWSFi'zi:k Black Edition
- NEWSNEW 2016 Fi'zi:k Shoes In Stock Now
- NEWSPinkbike Visits Crankbrothers
- NEWSClif Bar Wins Prestigious Award!
- NEWSThe Tracer Goes Green
- ANNOUNCEMENTExtra UK Welcomes Maxxis Tyres
- NEWSFind Us On Social Media
- NEWSCobalt 3 Wheels Score 9 out of 10!
- ANNOUNCEMENT2015 Events
- NEWSIntense Cycles - Tracing Dirt
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stock Take
- NEWSTopeak Mountain Morph - Awarded Singletrack Recommended
- NEWSTitley wins UKGE Series for BAB Intense
- NEWSLeadville – Bigham strikes again
- NEWSThe Strive Diaries: Entry 5 - EWS Reborn In The USA
- NEWSARTCRANK London
- NEWSNovatec Diablo 29 - 4 out of 5 MBUK
- NEWS4X Pro Tour - Val Di Sole - Yeti Racing UK
- NEWSBrooks England X Levi’s® Commuter Collaboration
- NEWSFizik To Illuminate Tour Finish Line
- NEWSTIME ATAC XC6 9 out of 10
- NEWSTopeak Joe Blow Mountain Scores 10!
- NEWSBAB Intense Race Report - UKGE Afan
- NEWS4X Pro Tour - Fort William - Yeti Racing UK
- NEWSThe Strive Diaries: Entry 2 - Enduro's Coming Home To Scotland
- NEWSIntroducing The DBinline
- NEWSIntroducing Clif Bar's New Ambassadors:
- NEWSIntroducing Volta
- NEWSNew Zealand Cycle Classic
- NEWSCrank Brothers to join Extra UK
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stock Take
- NEWS Extra UK secures CLIF Bar distribution
- NEWSIntroducing the Cyrano Series
- NEWSSchwalbe Euro 4X Series - Round 3 - Leibstadt, Switzerland
- NEWSCane Creek Introduces New Climbing Technology For DB Shocks
- NEWSRide For Michael
- NEWSHutchinson Toro Review - Singletrack Issue 82
- NEWSSchwalbe British 4X R3 & Schwalbe Euro 4X R2
- NEWSYeti Racing UK - 4X Pro Tour Round 1
- NEWSTeam Edition 2013
- NEWSAggro Racing - Round 2 & 3 Race Report
- NEWSSchwalbe British 4X Series Round 2 - Falmouth, Cornwall.
- NEWSCane Creek DBair XV
- NEWSClancy Wins The Soens For Rapha Condor JLT
- NEWSInside TIME
- NEWSHandley Draws First Blood
- NEWSPinkBike.com Review the DBair
- NEWSRapha Condor JLT Hit The Ground Running
- NEWSFestive Opening Hours
- NEWSEaston Cycling Licenses Technology From Topolino
- NEWSCane Creek Opens The Lounge
- NEWSJon Tiernan-Locke wins Tour of Britain
- NEWSShock Tuning Made Simple!
- NEWSTIME RX Instinct - RCUK First Look
- NEWS2012 Union Jack Limited Edition Swallow
- NEWSfi'zi:k dominate the Tour de France
- NEWSDon't Know Your Fit?
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 5
- NEWS2012 Word Champion
- NEWSBeyond the Bike - A Beyond Ourselves Project
- NEWSBrooks B17 Select World Traveller Limited Edition 2012
- NEWSEASTON CYCLING INTRODUCES THE NEW HAVOC 35
- NEWSIdentiti BMX Race Team Sign UK Elite BMX rider Tre Whyte
- NEWSINTENSE DEMO DAY - Moose Cycles
- RECALLTopeak Babyseat II Safety Recall
- NEWSMeet HARD EDDIE
- NEWSExtra appointed exclusive distributor for Time
- NEWSFi'zi:k Sponsored Jon Tiernan-Locke and Endura Racing top UCI Europe Tour Rankings
- NEWSTioga Sponsor Identiti BMX Race Team
- NEWSWorld Cup Dream Results for the Hutchinson United Ride!
- NEWSHutchinson Intensive on Road.cc
- NEWSGrowth in a tough market: Cane Creek
- NEWSTwo wins and seven podiums in three countries for Endura Racing
- NEWSTeam Sky makes the switch to fi'zi:k
- NEWSFreshFoodBike.com delivers groceries with Burley Travoy
- NEWSTiernan-Locke wins Tour du Haut Var with another standout climbing performance
- NEWSHutchinson United Ride Team
- NEWSTiernan-Locke wins final stage of Tour Mediterraneen to secure overall victory
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 1
- NEWSAre you Steep or Slack?
- NEWSCane Creek DBair - First ride review
- NEWSFizik Shoes Hit Hollywood
- NEWSFizik Kurve
- NEWSNew Intense Carbine
- NEWSIntense Tracer II reviewed by Singletrack
- NEWSJohn Boultbee Criterion Jacket
- NEWSA peek into Polar Bottle HQ
- NEWSAward for Curana