Schwalbe British 4X Series Round 2 - Falmouth, Cornwall.
Author: Extra UK | Mon, 22 Apr 2013
Topeak sponsored Scott Beaumont of Yeti Racing UK has just sent over a full report from Sundays Brisitsh 4X round in Falmoth, Cornwall.
Here's what he had to say.
Just back home from round 2 of the 2013 Schwalbe British 4X Series which was held at a brand new track in Falmouth, Cornwall. When we arrived on Friday, the track looked awesome. A huge new 4X facility for the UK. 11 turns on the track, 4 of them flat turns, big pro line and a fun rock garden. We walked the track a couple of times through the day and got ready for Saturdays official practice session.
Blue skies and perfect conditions for us on Saturday meant a fun day on the track. There was a lot to learn, but both me and Dave Richardson got to grips with it quickly and we were feeling confident for the race.
On Sunday, the skies were grey. It was drybut rain was forecast. Practice went well and we were both feeling great. The motos got underway and it was a bad start for Dave. Leading his first moto, he crashed on one of the lower turns. It was an unlucky crash, but he bounced back to win his next 2 motos and transfer into the quarter finals. The crash in his first moto meant that Dave was not going to have gate choice which could prove to be a problem.
In his quarter final, he made the snap and got away from gate 2. Led the race start to finish and booked his place in the semi final. In the semi final, it was a repeat. A perfect start gave Dave the lead and he just did not look back. So he was into the final. However, the rain was niow falling hard. Dave took the option to change his tyres from Schwalbe's Nobby Nic to a Dirty Dan. It was a move that gave him the edge. A great start and a lead around turn 1 that just grew and grew all the way down the track. A brilliant win that gives him 2 wins from 2 now for the national series and of course the overall series lead.
I felt really confident all weekend. Tomas Slavik and Felix Beckeman had flown in to race which added a little spice, but I was looking to try and get the better of them.
In the motos, I won my first 2 races. Then in the third moto I was racing Slavik. He got the snap from the inside gate. I came across to get on his wheel into turn 1. It was a close race all the way down. I was on his wheel looking for a passing place, but just couldn't quite get him. It was good to see his lines and try and use them later when I would meet him again in the final.
In the quarter finals I raced Felix Beckeman. I made the gate and we battled through the first 3 turns. I got into the lead and held it to move in the semi finals. In the semi finals it was a battle with me, Felix and Lewis Lacey. I got the snap and led from start to finish. Lewis held off Felix for 2nd.
In the final Slavik had gate 1, I went from gate 2, Lacey in 3 and track builder Will Evans in 4. I made a great gate and matched Slavik to turn 1. He led into turn 2 but I carried good speed to the inside and took the lead. Slavik then passed me into turn 3. I sat on his rear wheel through the pro line and rocks then went for it to the outside. Through a series of 3 turns I nearly got passed him, but just couldn't quite thread the needle. A slip on the last straight from me nearly caused me to crash but I held on to take 2nd. I was happy to have been involved in such a great final and can't wait to resume the racing with Tomas in 2 weeks at the first 4X ProTour in Poland. This 2nd place finish for me extends my series points lead after 2 rounds.
- NEWSFactory Jackson Reviews New Crankbrothers Klic HV Pump and F15 Tool
- NEWSCane Creek Introduces Helm Fork
- NEWSMaxxis Enables Extra UK To Realign Prices
- NEWS7 World Tour Teams Ride Fizik In 2017
- NEWSNew Shock and Remote Levers From Cane Creek
- NEWSChristmas Closing
- NEWSCane Creek Partners With eeCycles
- ANNOUNCEMENTWe'll be closed for Stocktake
- NEWSCane Creek Expands Shock Line
- NEWSNuun partners with Extra for exclusive UK distribution
- NEWSIt's Time To Get Dialed!
- NEWSBrooks 150th Anniversary
- NEWSMore Awards For Clif Bar
- NEWSTopeak Wins Red Dot Awards
- ANNOUNCEMENTClif Bar Become Official Sponsor of Prudential RideLondon
- NEWSInside Ergon
- NEWSOrange Seal In Cycling Weekly
- NEWSDesign & Innovation Award Winners
- NEWSChristmas Opening Times
- NEWSNEW Clif Bar Flavour Now Available!
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stocktake
- NEWSProGold The Reader Choice
- NEWSDBinline recommended by Singletrack Magazine
- NEWSDownhill performance meets… climbing efficiency
- NEWSErgon BE1 Scores 9 out of 10!
- NEWSFi'zi:k Black Edition
- NEWSNEW 2016 Fi'zi:k Shoes In Stock Now
- NEWSPinkbike Visits Crankbrothers
- NEWSClif Bar Wins Prestigious Award!
- NEWSThe Tracer Goes Green
- ANNOUNCEMENTExtra UK Welcomes Maxxis Tyres
- NEWSFind Us On Social Media
- NEWSCobalt 3 Wheels Score 9 out of 10!
- ANNOUNCEMENT2015 Events
- NEWSIntense Cycles - Tracing Dirt
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stock Take
- NEWSTopeak Mountain Morph - Awarded Singletrack Recommended
- NEWSTitley wins UKGE Series for BAB Intense
- NEWSLeadville – Bigham strikes again
- NEWSThe Strive Diaries: Entry 5 - EWS Reborn In The USA
- NEWSARTCRANK London
- NEWSNovatec Diablo 29 - 4 out of 5 MBUK
- NEWS4X Pro Tour - Val Di Sole - Yeti Racing UK
- NEWSBrooks England X Levi’s® Commuter Collaboration
- NEWSFizik To Illuminate Tour Finish Line
- NEWSTIME ATAC XC6 9 out of 10
- NEWSTopeak Joe Blow Mountain Scores 10!
- NEWSBAB Intense Race Report - UKGE Afan
- NEWS4X Pro Tour - Fort William - Yeti Racing UK
- NEWSThe Strive Diaries: Entry 2 - Enduro's Coming Home To Scotland
- NEWSIntroducing The DBinline
- NEWSIntroducing Clif Bar's New Ambassadors:
- NEWSIntroducing Volta
- NEWSNew Zealand Cycle Classic
- NEWSCrank Brothers to join Extra UK
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stock Take
- NEWS Extra UK secures CLIF Bar distribution
- NEWSIntroducing the Cyrano Series
- NEWSSchwalbe Euro 4X Series - Round 3 - Leibstadt, Switzerland
- NEWSCane Creek Introduces New Climbing Technology For DB Shocks
- NEWSRide For Michael
- NEWSHutchinson Toro Review - Singletrack Issue 82
- NEWSSchwalbe British 4X R3 & Schwalbe Euro 4X R2
- NEWSYeti Racing UK - 4X Pro Tour Round 1
- NEWSTeam Edition 2013
- NEWSAggro Racing - Round 2 & 3 Race Report
- NEWSSchwalbe British 4X Series Round 2 - Falmouth, Cornwall.
- NEWSCane Creek DBair XV
- NEWSClancy Wins The Soens For Rapha Condor JLT
- NEWSInside TIME
- NEWSHandley Draws First Blood
- NEWSPinkBike.com Review the DBair
- NEWSRapha Condor JLT Hit The Ground Running
- NEWSFestive Opening Hours
- NEWSEaston Cycling Licenses Technology From Topolino
- NEWSCane Creek Opens The Lounge
- NEWSJon Tiernan-Locke wins Tour of Britain
- NEWSShock Tuning Made Simple!
- NEWSTIME RX Instinct - RCUK First Look
- NEWS2012 Union Jack Limited Edition Swallow
- NEWSfi'zi:k dominate the Tour de France
- NEWSDon't Know Your Fit?
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 5
- NEWS2012 Word Champion
- NEWSBeyond the Bike - A Beyond Ourselves Project
- NEWSBrooks B17 Select World Traveller Limited Edition 2012
- NEWSEASTON CYCLING INTRODUCES THE NEW HAVOC 35
- NEWSIdentiti BMX Race Team Sign UK Elite BMX rider Tre Whyte
- NEWSINTENSE DEMO DAY - Moose Cycles
- RECALLTopeak Babyseat II Safety Recall
- NEWSMeet HARD EDDIE
- NEWSExtra appointed exclusive distributor for Time
- NEWSFi'zi:k Sponsored Jon Tiernan-Locke and Endura Racing top UCI Europe Tour Rankings
- NEWSTioga Sponsor Identiti BMX Race Team
- NEWSWorld Cup Dream Results for the Hutchinson United Ride!
- NEWSHutchinson Intensive on Road.cc
- NEWSGrowth in a tough market: Cane Creek
- NEWSTwo wins and seven podiums in three countries for Endura Racing
- NEWSTeam Sky makes the switch to fi'zi:k
- NEWSFreshFoodBike.com delivers groceries with Burley Travoy
- NEWSTiernan-Locke wins Tour du Haut Var with another standout climbing performance
- NEWSHutchinson United Ride Team
- NEWSTiernan-Locke wins final stage of Tour Mediterraneen to secure overall victory
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 1
- NEWSAre you Steep or Slack?
- NEWSCane Creek DBair - First ride review
- NEWSFizik Shoes Hit Hollywood
- NEWSFizik Kurve
- NEWSNew Intense Carbine
- NEWSIntense Tracer II reviewed by Singletrack
- NEWSJohn Boultbee Criterion Jacket
- NEWSA peek into Polar Bottle HQ
- NEWSAward for Curana