Schwalbe Euro 4X Series - Round 3 - Leibstadt, Switzerland
Author: Extra UK | Wed, 14 Aug 2013
Topeak sponsored Scott Beaumont has been in touch with the latest race report from Round 3 of the Schwalbe Euro 4X series. Here's what he had to say;
Last weekend it was the Schwalbe Euro 4X Series finals in Leibstadt, Switzerland.
Both Scott and Dave were racing – Scott was looking to go from 2nd place in the overall series to take the championship and Dave was looking to finish with a great top 10 overall result.
The track was fun and both riders were feeling confident. There was a headwind on the proline straight which was making it tricky, but by qualifying they were ready.
Scott was seeded as the number 1 rider and was first on the track. He was on a flyer, then as he came onto the proline doubles the wind increased. He cleared the first double no problem but had to go really high on the second double as the wind had slowed him down a bit. Across the finish line, he set a great time of 36.19. That time held as the fastest right until one of the last riders – Quentin Derbier, who entered the race late. He had a brilliant lap, there was no wind on the proline and took the fastest time by just 0.2 seconds. Dave got in the gate and was ready for the run. You guessed it, just as the gate dropped the wind picked up again. He looked fast and was on a great time until the proline. He jumped the first double ok but heading to the second the wind hit him and he grabbed the brakes. He rolled the second double and lost a lot of time. Across the finish line a time of 39.12 was good enough to qualify 21st.
With barely any rest, it was time for the finals. The points looked like this. Dave would need to finish at least 3rd in the quarter finals to hold onto his top 10 overall placing. Scott would need to finish at least 3rd in the quarter finals to take the overall series win. We will break the racing into Dave’s day and Scott’s day:
In the first round, Dave got bumped around and found himself in 3rd. In the second turn, he dived inside and made a fantastic pass to claim 2nd and move into the quarter finals.
In the quarter finals he had gate 4. The gate dropped and he got pushed wide in turn 1. On the second straight he moved into 3rd and was chasing 2nd. At the finish line he just couldn’t quite get there and went out. The great news is 3rd in that quarter final gave him 12th on the day and this was enough to secure 10th overall in the 2013 Schwalbe Euro 4X Series. As Dave races in the senior category here in the UK, this was a fantastic result as he is racing against Elite riders in this Series.
Scott’s first round went well. A great gate and led the race from start to finish. The next race was the crunch. He just needed 3rd or better. He made a great start, but Michal Mechura made a better gate next to him and moved across into turn 1. Scott was on the ropes as he was trapped tight on the inside. On the exit of turn 1 he was in 4th. On the second straight he powered into 3rd. Then in the move of the day,on the Proline doubles Scott went wide and with hardly any track to work with, threaded the needle over 30 foot double jumps in a head wind with less than 30cm of track to land on. It was inch perfect and Scott moved into 2nd and into the semi finals.
At the finish line Scott was ecstatic. But there was no time for celebrations. The war was won, it was time to win the battle! He went up for the semi final. Again he had gate 1. However again, Mechura just got to turn 1 in 1st! This time though Scott had more space and on the 2nd straight was sat in 2nd. With a cushion on 3rd it was looking good, until disaster struck. A rear puncture took Scott out of the race. He was gutted. Dave was on hand to help with a quick tyre and tube change, then it was back to the gate. The fastest qualifier Quentin Derbier was in gate 1, Scott in 2, Lucas Mechura in 3 and Mirco Weiss in 4. The gate dropped and Scott got the holeshot. From there he did not look back. Extending his lead and taking the win to give him 5th for the day.
However 5th just did not matter. Scott was crowned the 2013 Schwalbe European 4X Series Champion.
We just want to say a huge thank you to all the team sponsors, without whom this simply would not be possible.
So far in 2013 the team have simply been amazing:
Schwalbe British 4X Series Champion
Schwalbe European 4X Series Champion
4X National Champion
Mountain Bike Hall of Fame Inductee
Schwalbe British 4X Series Champion (Senior category)
10th overall Schwalbe European 4X Series
4th 4X National Championships
Between both Dave and myself we have won 6 National races as well!
It has been a truly awesome year for the team. Thank you to all our sponsors. You make it possible.
- NEWSUK National Parks and Clif Bar launch the National Parks Protectors Fund
- NEWSRichard Carapaz wins the Giro d'Italia with ABUS
- NEWSFFWD Wheels Distributed By Extra UK
- NEWSExtra UK ABUS Factory Visit and Distribution
- NEWSA new beginning for Pirelli: Scorpion MTB is the newborn range for mountain bikers
- NEWSThe New Brooks Cambium C13 All Weather is here.
- NEWSExtra at COREbike 2019: New Brands and New Products
- NEWSChristmas Closing
- ANNOUNCEMENTSRP's for CLIF Bloks, Builders and Gels lowered in the UK
- NEWSAnnual Stocktake
- NEWSabsoluteBLACK Oval vs Round
- NEWSPirelli Is Official Partner Of Il Lombaria and Strade Bianche
- NEWSNEW Cane Creek eeSilk post now in stock
- NEWSMaxxis Introduces, the Assegai
- NEWSNEW Nut Butter Filled Clif Bars Now Available
- NEWSSquirt Cycling Products now exclusively available
- NEWSPirelli and Mitchelton-Scott announce partnership
- NEWSPirelli announce new tubeless Cinturato Velo
- ANNOUNCEMENTAbsoluteBLACK appoint EXTRA UK as exclusive distributor in UK and Ireland
- NEWSCane Creek Release eeWings Premium Titanium Crankset
- NEWSCane Creek Releases 29 and 27.5+ Version of Critically Acclaimed HELM Fork
- NEWSNEW Limited Edition Cambium All Weather Saddles
- NEWSWhy Nuun?
- ANNOUNCEMENTOffice Closure
- RECALLRECALL - SwissStop ExoTherm Disc Pads
- NEWSAnnual stocktake
- NEWSCrankbrothers launch new Stamp pedals
- NEWSTens of thousands finish Prudential Ride London with the help of nuun hydration and Clif Bar
- RECALLVoluntary Recall of CLIF® BUILDER’S Bar Chocolate Mint Flavour
- NEWSOrange Seal Named Official Sealant of Team Bora-Hansgrohe
- ANNOUNCEMENTSwissStop EXOTherm Stop-Ride Stop-Sale Advisory
- NEWSExtra UK appointed exclusive distributor of the new Pirelli PZero Velo tyres
- NEWSnuun and company® Announces Multi-Year Partnership with Prudential RideLondon
- NEWSFactory Jackson Reviews New Crankbrothers Klic HV Pump and F15 Tool
- NEWSCane Creek Introduces Helm Fork
- NEWSMaxxis Enables Extra UK To Realign Prices
- NEWS7 World Tour Teams Ride Fizik In 2017
- NEWSNew Shock and Remote Levers From Cane Creek
- NEWSChristmas Closing
- NEWSCane Creek Partners With eeCycles
- ANNOUNCEMENTWe'll be closed for Stocktake
- NEWSCane Creek Expands Shock Line
- NEWSNuun partners with Extra for exclusive UK distribution
- NEWSIt's Time To Get Dialed!
- NEWSBrooks 150th Anniversary
- NEWSMore Awards For Clif Bar
- NEWSTopeak Wins Red Dot Awards
- ANNOUNCEMENTClif Bar Become Official Sponsor of Prudential RideLondon
- NEWSInside Ergon
- NEWSOrange Seal In Cycling Weekly
- NEWSDesign & Innovation Award Winners
- NEWSChristmas Opening Times
- NEWSNEW Clif Bar Flavour Now Available!
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stocktake
- NEWSProGold The Reader Choice
- NEWSDBinline recommended by Singletrack Magazine
- NEWSDownhill performance meets… climbing efficiency
- NEWSErgon BE1 Scores 9 out of 10!
- NEWSFi'zi:k Black Edition
- NEWSNEW 2016 Fi'zi:k Shoes In Stock Now
- NEWSPinkbike Visits Crankbrothers
- NEWSClif Bar Wins Prestigious Award!
- NEWSThe Tracer Goes Green
- ANNOUNCEMENTExtra UK Welcomes Maxxis Tyres
- NEWSFind Us On Social Media
- NEWSCobalt 3 Wheels Score 9 out of 10!
- ANNOUNCEMENT2015 Events
- NEWSIntense Cycles - Tracing Dirt
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stock Take
- NEWSTopeak Mountain Morph - Awarded Singletrack Recommended
- NEWSTitley wins UKGE Series for BAB Intense
- NEWSLeadville – Bigham strikes again
- NEWSThe Strive Diaries: Entry 5 - EWS Reborn In The USA
- NEWSARTCRANK London
- NEWSNovatec Diablo 29 - 4 out of 5 MBUK
- NEWS4X Pro Tour - Val Di Sole - Yeti Racing UK
- NEWSBrooks England X Levi’s® Commuter Collaboration
- NEWSFizik To Illuminate Tour Finish Line
- NEWSTIME ATAC XC6 9 out of 10
- NEWSTopeak Joe Blow Mountain Scores 10!
- NEWSBAB Intense Race Report - UKGE Afan
- NEWS4X Pro Tour - Fort William - Yeti Racing UK
- NEWSThe Strive Diaries: Entry 2 - Enduro's Coming Home To Scotland
- NEWSIntroducing The DBinline
- NEWSIntroducing Clif Bar's New Ambassadors:
- NEWSIntroducing Volta
- NEWSNew Zealand Cycle Classic
- NEWSCrank Brothers to join Extra UK
- ANNOUNCEMENTAnnual Stock Take
- NEWS Extra UK secures CLIF Bar distribution
- NEWSIntroducing the Cyrano Series
- NEWSSchwalbe Euro 4X Series - Round 3 - Leibstadt, Switzerland
- NEWSCane Creek Introduces New Climbing Technology For DB Shocks
- NEWSRide For Michael
- NEWSHutchinson Toro Review - Singletrack Issue 82
- NEWSSchwalbe British 4X R3 & Schwalbe Euro 4X R2
- NEWSYeti Racing UK - 4X Pro Tour Round 1
- NEWSTeam Edition 2013
- NEWSAggro Racing - Round 2 & 3 Race Report
- NEWSSchwalbe British 4X Series Round 2 - Falmouth, Cornwall.
- NEWSCane Creek DBair XV
- NEWSClancy Wins The Soens For Rapha Condor JLT
- NEWSInside TIME
- NEWSHandley Draws First Blood
- NEWSPinkBike.com Review the DBair
- NEWSRapha Condor JLT Hit The Ground Running
- NEWSFestive Opening Hours
- NEWSEaston Cycling Licenses Technology From Topolino
- NEWSCane Creek Opens The Lounge
- NEWSJon Tiernan-Locke wins Tour of Britain
- NEWSShock Tuning Made Simple!
- NEWSTIME RX Instinct - RCUK First Look
- NEWS2012 Union Jack Limited Edition Swallow
- NEWSfi'zi:k dominate the Tour de France
- NEWSDon't Know Your Fit?
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 5
- NEWS2012 Word Champion
- NEWSBeyond the Bike - A Beyond Ourselves Project
- NEWSBrooks B17 Select World Traveller Limited Edition 2012
- NEWSEASTON CYCLING INTRODUCES THE NEW HAVOC 35
- NEWSIdentiti BMX Race Team Sign UK Elite BMX rider Tre Whyte
- NEWSINTENSE DEMO DAY - Moose Cycles
- RECALLTopeak Babyseat II Safety Recall
- NEWSMeet HARD EDDIE
- NEWSExtra appointed exclusive distributor for Time
- NEWSFi'zi:k Sponsored Jon Tiernan-Locke and Endura Racing top UCI Europe Tour Rankings
- NEWSTioga Sponsor Identiti BMX Race Team
- NEWSWorld Cup Dream Results for the Hutchinson United Ride!
- NEWSHutchinson Intensive on Road.cc
- NEWSGrowth in a tough market: Cane Creek
- NEWSTwo wins and seven podiums in three countries for Endura Racing
- NEWSTeam Sky makes the switch to fi'zi:k
- NEWSFreshFoodBike.com delivers groceries with Burley Travoy
- NEWSTiernan-Locke wins Tour du Haut Var with another standout climbing performance
- NEWSHutchinson United Ride Team
- NEWSTiernan-Locke wins final stage of Tour Mediterraneen to secure overall victory
- NEWSIntense VTOPO Act 1
- NEWSAre you Steep or Slack?
- NEWSCane Creek DBair - First ride review
- NEWSFizik Shoes Hit Hollywood
- NEWSFizik Kurve
- NEWSNew Intense Carbine
- NEWSIntense Tracer II reviewed by Singletrack
- NEWSJohn Boultbee Criterion Jacket
- NEWSA peek into Polar Bottle HQ
- NEWSAward for Curana